I have the Intel i915GM onboard graphics chipset and although the drivers are already included in the distro, there is extra work to be done for it to run at native resolution. Luckily I found some documentation explaining the process.
Gutsy however now implements the modeset changing in xorg, out-of-the-box (as I
915resolution has been made redundant. If your upgrading from
Feisty (like most people will be), you will need to reconfigure your xorg.conf
for the new settings:
- Make sure “xserver-xorg-video-intel” is installed (search in Synaptic)
- Remove 915resolution — I chose remove completely
- Remove Auto915resolution (startup script — if you used it):
- At that point, I restarted just to check if the resolution had changed (from native) — and it did
- Now run:
- This will reconfigure your xorg.conf file. Run through the process as normal, it’s worth reading the description of whats about to be changed, if in doubt, leave the field blank. In the video driver screen, select “Intel” instead of “i810 or i915”.